Family and Partner Visas UK

The highly reputable and experienced immigration team at Oracle Solicitors will offer you quality advice and assist you in the process of applying for family, partner and marriage visas in the UK. Contact us today so that you can start this new chapter in your life with minimum disruption and expense.

Am I eligible for a Family or Partner Visa?

Non-European nationals may be able to apply to come to the UK as the dependent child or adult dependent relative of a British citizen or person with settled status, refugee leave or humanitarian protection.

Settled status means having been given permission to settle in the UK permanently, also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). The parent of a child or family member of a migrant worker already here may also be eligible to apply for a visa.

Dependent Child Visas

The dependent child of a British citizen or a person with settled status can apply for permission to enter and/or remain in the UK temporarily or permanently. To qualify, the UK Border Agency must be satisfied that the child is under 18, not leading an independent life, not married or in a civil partnership and has not formed an independent family unit. There are several additional requirements, with more for adopted children.

If the parent of the dependent child applies to enter or remain in the UK as a partner or parent, they must meet a financial requirement.

In all other cases, the parent will need to show they can accommodate the child without help from public funds. In some cases, depending on the status of the parent(s) settlement, the child may need to apply as a points-based system (PBS) dependent.

Adult Dependent Visas

As the parent, grandparent, sibling or child over the age of 18 of a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you can only apply for permission to come here in exceptional circumstances, i.e.; where you need long-term personal care that your UK sponsor can provide.

The application must be made from outside the UK and a visa obtained before travelling.

The Parent of a Child in the UK

As the parent of a child who is a British citizen or settled in the UK, you can apply for permission to enter or stay here.

You will need to show that you have sole responsibility for the child or at the very least access rights.

You must also show that you can maintain yourself without relying on public funds, together with suitability and English language requirements.

If you meet all the requirements you will be given temporary permission to remain in the UK for 30 months. You will be eligible to stay for a further 30 months if you continue to meet the requirements and after 5 years you can apply for ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).

If you are outside the UK you must obtain your visa before travelling.

If you are already in the UK you will be eligible so long as you are not on a visitor visa or on temporary admission, permission to stay was not given for a period of fewer than 6 months (unless as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner) and you are not in breach of the Immigration Rules (overstaying for less than 28 days will not be taken into account).

Family Members of Migrant Workers

As the partner or dependent child (under 18) of a migrant who is in or coming to the UK under most categories of the points-based system, you can apply for a visa to join them here as a PBS dependent.

You will need to show that you intend to live with the migrant worker, your relationship is genuine, or for children, you have not formed an independent family unit or leading an independent life. The migrant worker will also need to prove that they can support you without relying on public funds.

Marriage Visa UK

The application for a Marriage Visa UK can be quite complex and daunting. There are a number of requirements to be met and we recommend that you get in touch with us today for quality and friendly support throughout the process.

Click the following link for more information: Marriage Visa UK

Fiancé Visas and Proposed Civil Partner Visas

Under immigration rules, there are criteria that must be met to be eligible for this type of visa. Oracle Solicitors immigration specialists are highly experienced in this area and will strive to make the application as simple as possible.

Immigration law is constantly changing and we, therefore, recommend that you contact us for legal advice should you have any questions about whether you need a visa.

As the non-European fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person with settled status in the UK, you must obtain a fiancé visa before travelling to the UK to get married or undergo a civil partnership ceremony (you cannot apply from inside the UK).

You must also marry your fiancé or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival. You can then apply to switch into the category of spouse visa or civil partner visa if you intend to stay.

If you do not intend to marry or undergo a civil partnership ceremony or to do so within 6 months, then you must apply for an unmarried partner visa.

If you want to get married here but do not intend to stay for more than 6 months then you should apply as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership.

How can we help you?

Contact us at the Oracle office nearest to you or submit an inquiry online.

Our Fees

Our charges will be based on the time actually spent by the solicitors and other staff in respect of any work which they do on your behalf.

Our current hourly rates are set out below:

  • Senior Solicitors – £400 (All figures exclude VAT)
  • Solicitors – £300 (All figures exclude VAT)
  • Trainee Solicitors, Paralegal – £150 (All figures exclude VAT)

The work we carry out on your immigration case can take several hours, therefore we understand some clients prefer fixed fee costs.  We will provide you with a fixed fee quote at the initial consultation dependant on the complexity of your case (if you prefer this option).

If you wish to proceed with hourly rate fees you can expect on average to pay the following dependant on the fee-earners hourly rate.

Visit our immigration fees page for more info.

How long will my application take?

We will normally be able to submit your application within 4 – 8 weeks of you instructing us, but we will let you know at the earliest opportunity if it is likely to take longer than this.

We cannot guarantee how long the Home Office will take to process your application. Read the current processing times.

For an informal discussion regarding your case, or to book an appointment with our Immigration team, please call us now on 020 3051 5060.

Looking for a First-Class Lawyers?