Bringing your loved ones to the UK is life-changing.
While the Marriage Visa UK application process can be complex and daunting, we understand you want to start the next chapter in your family life quickly and with minimal disruption and expense.
That’s why our immigration specialists are hand right through the process. If you have any questions about a marriage visa application, please contact us today for expert legal advice that you can depend on.
What is a Marriage Visa UK?
A marriage visa allows non-EEA nationals to enter or remain in the UK if they are married to a British citizen or a person with UK settled status, i.e. someone who is living in the UK lawfully with no time limit on their stay.
To qualify for entry to the UK, you will need to be granted entry clearance prior to your arrival.
Am I Eligible for a Marriage Visa?
You are eligible to apply for Marriage Visa if you satisfy the following criteria:
- You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.
- You must be legally married and have met each other.
- You must plan to live together permanently.
What will I need to show to apply for a Marriage Visa?
As part of your visa application you will need to demonstrate:
- Your spouse is either present and settled in the United Kingdom, or will arrive with you to be admitted for settlement.
- There will be adequate accommodation for you and any dependants, and that you will be able to maintain yourselves and any dependants without the support of UK public funds.
- Your spouse earns more than £18,600 per year or has enough savings to be able to support you without claiming public funds. If you have dependent children, the minimum financial requirement is higher.
- You must satisfy the English language requirements.
What you need to know about Marriage Visas
If you are applying for a marriage visa from outside the UK, you are eligible for an initial visa period of 27 months. If you are already in the UK on a visa, you will be given an extension of stay for two years.
You must complete two years as a spouse before being eligible to apply for leave to remain as a spouse.
Children of the marriage who are under 18 years old are allowed entry to the UK as dependants and can make their application at the same time as the applicant spouse.
Our charges will be based on the time actually spent by the solicitors and other staff in respect of any work which they do on your behalf.
Our current hourly rates are set out below:
- Senior Solicitors – £400 (All figures exclude VAT)
- Solicitors – £300 (All figures exclude VAT)
- Trainee Solicitors, Paralegal – £150 (All figures exclude VAT)
The work we carry out on your immigration case can take several hours, therefore we understand some clients prefer fixed fee costs. We will provide you with a fixed fee quote at the initial consultation dependant on the complexity of your case (if you prefer this option).
If you wish to proceed with hourly rate fees you can expect on average to pay the following dependant on the fee-earners hourly rate.
Visit our immigration fees page for more info.
How long will my application take?
We will normally be able to submit your application within 4 – 8 weeks of you instructing us, but we will let you know at the earliest opportunity if it is likely to take longer than this.
We cannot guarantee how long the Home Office will take to process your application. Read the current processing times.
For an informal discussion regarding your case, or to book an appointment with our Immigration team, please call us now on 020 3051 5060.