Ilan BrahaAviation Paralegal
- Aviation Paralegal
- BA (Hons) Ancient History – University of Manchester
- MA Ancient History – King’s College London
- Graduate Diploma in Law – University of Law
- Legal Practice Course – University of Law
Ilan’s principal cases are in Aviation Law, specialising in EU261/2004 claims. He has been with Oracle Solicitors in London for over a year and has built a strong rapport with our major airline client.
A few cases that Ilan has recently worked on include:
- Ana Mikola v Ryanair DAC. This was an appeal before HHJ Pearce at Liverpool County Court – a Court that has become a specialist in aviation claims – that concluded that Air Traffic Control strikes are an extraordinary circumstance within EU Regulation 261/2004. Air Traffic Control Strikes is a frequent event and success in this claim has led to greatly increased chances of a successful defence. This has changed the course of such claims in England & Wales.
- Peter Haynes v Ryanair DAC This Claim was centred on seriously heavy fog that rendered visibility extremely poor. Any attempt to take off or land would seriously endanger passenger safety. The successful defence has changed the judicial perspective of such claims and highlighted the importance airlines prioritising of passenger safety over reckless attempts to keep to a schedule.
- Jill & Derek Reaney v Ryanair DAC This claim was defended on the impact of poor visibility where an airport is extremely close to mountains. Again, passenger safety was foremost and the successful defence was a reminder of its importance.
Some ongoing cases include:
- A key case concerning whether internal strikes by an airline’s staff that was called by a union are an extraordinary circumstance. Internal strikes by airline staff have featured prominently in the news in the past few years. It is highly likely that numerous airlines will be keeping a close eye on how these test cases proceed.
- A key case concerning the validity of exclusive jurisdiction clauses in contracts with multi-jurisdictional businesses.
Ilan always works hard to secure the best outcome for his clients. His attention to detail along with his innovative approach makes him well placed to do this.
If you’d like a consultation, please start by completing the form: