Edit Content

Northern Europe

Central Europe

Central Africa

Oracle Solicitors Logo



Injury at Work? Here’s What To Do!

Have you got a question?

If you sustain an injury at work, either in the UK or NI, you may be entitled to make a claim for compensation.

Although you may decide not to take legal action against your employer, there are certain steps you should take to assist yourself in bringing a claim in the future.

  • Report the accident to your line manager or supervisor asap. If your accident is serious, you must ensure that your employer informs the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
  • Make a record: You should write down the details of your accident and send a copy to both your line manager or supervisor and the HR department of your workplace.
  • Seek medical attention either from A&E or your local GP, even if your injuries do not seem serious. If you wish to make a claim for compensation, you will be able to use your medical notes to prove that you suffered an injury as a result of your accident.
  • Take down the full names and contact details of any witnesses to your accident as soon as you are able to do so. If you wish to make a claim for compensation, your solicitor may need to collect statements from them.
  • Take photographs of the accident scene, paying close attention to the cause of your accident. If your injuries are visible, you should capture them on camera too.
  • Keep a diary. If you wish to file a compensation claim, you will need to prove that your injuries caused you pain and suffering. Keeping a personal injury diary will help you to record all the details of your injuries and the effects they have on your life.
  • Keep your receipts. To recover compensation for your out-of-pocket expenses, you must keep receipts and other details of your expenses. The more evidence you can provide, the easier it will be for you to recoup all of your losses.
  • Sick pay. If you need to take time off work as a result of your injury, you should be eligible to receive statutory sick pay from your employer. Depending on the seriousness of the injury, you may also be able to claim industrial injuries disablement benefit from the government.
  • You should Seek advice. Following an injury at work, you should seek legal advice from a personal injury solicitor. We will be able to assess the details of your case and determine your eligibility for compensation.
  • Pursue a claim. If you wish to bring a claim for compensation, you must do so within three years of the date of your accident. If you fail to make your claim within the time limit, you will lose your right to receive compensation.

The contents of this article are intended for general information purposes only and shall not be deemed to be, or constitute legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article.

Alessio Pellegrini

Alessio, with the Marketing team, strives to help colleagues excel with client care, while also keeping the firm ‘on the pulse’ regarding the most critical...

Book a call back

Fill out our form and one of our experts will get back to you.
Landing Page - Get In Touch - Callback

Share this article

Got a question?

Please complete this form to send an enquiry. Your message will be sent to one member of our team.

Landing - Contact Form

Related posts

Kai Sammer

Renters (Reform) Bill – unbundling the Bill

The news headlines following the Renters (Reform) Bill’s introduction to Parliament on 17 May 2023, have been heavily focussed on the abolition of Section 21 evictions, but there are also other important elements of the Bill to consider.

Read More

Got a question?

Please complete this form to send an enquiry. Your message will be sent to one member of our team.

Landing - Contact Form

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.